How to be Kelsey Harding – Nov 2012 edition
In the past few months there have been several new “red-heads” (aka RED hair people – not gingers) on campus. Quite a few people have talked to me about them. These people say things like “They’re just trying to be you!” While I laugh at those comments, it made me wonder… What would someone have to do to try to be me? So I’ve made you a guide to being Kelsey (cuz you totally needed one).
1. Take equal parts of Manic Panic Rock N Roll Red and Vampire Red hair dye, mix together and apply to hair. Leave on overnight, then wash out, and proceed to have 34 people ask you if you did something with your hair.
2. Fill your closet with shirts that are mostly purple, blue, turquoise, and navy. Wear them with denim, gray, or black pants.
3. Eat wayyy too much candy.
4. Freak out about bad breath and the health of your teeth and over compensate in oral hygiene. Wake up, brush teeth, tongue, and cheeks, use mouth wash, apply burts bees, use travel size listerine periodically throughout the day (usually around 10 times), brush teeth mid afternoon, use travel sized listerine another 10 times throughout the evening, brush teeth, tongue, and cheeks at night, floss, rinse with mouth wash, and rinse with hydrogen peroxide, mix a little bit of sugar with water, use homemade sugar scrub to exfoliate lips, rinse lips, apply a light coating of water to lips, apply petrolium jelly to newly exfoliated and damp lips, go to bed.
5. Be the most predictable woman ever and fawn over videos of babies and puppies… then go on pinterest for an unnecessary amount of time.
6. Put hot sauce on all your food. It’s the only way to survive life in the cafeteria.
7. Watch the following tv shows: Modern Family, Once Upon A Time, Happy Endings, New Girl, Switched At Birth, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Ink Master, Face Off, The League, America’s Next Top Model, and Glee.
8. Memorize the lines to The Princess Bride, That Thing You Do, Two Weeks Notice, and While You Were Sleeping… then proceed to use them in every day conversation without people realizing it “You’re talkin jibberish!”
9. Perk up the second you hear the word “Vikings” then proceed to say “VIKINGS!” under your breath but just loud enough that most people around you can hear. Even if you’re in history class and learning about historical Vikings…. You love the Minnesota Vikings too much to ignore an opportunity like that.
10. Observe what mediocre things are going on in your life right now, think of how it would look if it was on sitcom, write down that situation, pull out a thesaurus to change words so you sound more intelligent, add a witty punch line, there’s your facebook status.
11. Stop eating meat. Just do it. Research the health benefits so you can defend yourself. Then watch a whole bunch of videos on PETA’s website. Now try to eat meat again. Proceed to feel sick the rest of the night. Congratulations, you’re now a vegetarian.
12. Organize your email into about 15 subcategories. Make sure it’s color coordinated too. Proceed to wonder why your coworkers marvel at your organizational skills
13. Roll your eyes at every cheesy, inspirational Christianese quote you hear… Then read pretty much the same thing in your 500 devotional books you read every night before bed and tear up the whole time. Inconsistency is the best.
14. Crack every joint and knuckle you can.
15. Always take the 10:05am shuttle to chapel. Yes chapel starts at 10:00am. But look at it this way. This leaves an open seat for someone else on the 9:50am shuttle and an open seat in the chapel for them too. You get 15 extra minutes to get ready, you still scan in on time, and you get to sit on the floor in the back so you’re the first one out at the end. Win win. All you miss is a couple announcements and maybe a song.
16. Spritz perfume on your hair before you go to sleep. Hair holds the smell of perfume better than clothes/skin, and letting it sit overnight keeps the smell from being over-powering. Then you can use your 1 spritz for your wrists, neck, shirt, or what have you the next day and still have nice smelling hair.
17. Lay out your outfit the night before and shower the night before too. You’re going to oversleep substantially in the morning no matter what you tell yourself. You don’t want to be deciding your outfit in the morning when you’re half awake and only have 15 minutes to get ready.
18. Never underestimate the power of a Shakespearean sonnet. Buy a mini book of all his sonnets and carry it around with you on a bad day.
19. Fat. Ugly. Stupid. The 3 qualities that make the perfect dream pet. Bulldogs, pugs, raccoons, pigs, and skunks all fall under this category. Their patheticness will become endearing to you.
20. Squirrels. Better than facebook, tv, twitter, and your great aunt’s apple pie. Spend time alone watching the squirrels. You’ll instantly be in a good mood.
21. Get a tattoo and a couple piercings. I’d advise getting them with your parents foreknowledge… but if you want to be JUST like Kelsey… you’ll probably conveniently “forget” to tell them and they’ll probably end up finding out later on when your little brother lifts up your shirt and asks “WHAT’S THAT!?” whilst pointing at your ink/piercing right in front of them.
22. Become addicted to kisses and hugs and the sweet sweet love of your two youngest brothers.
23. Sit in bed and watch t.v. at nights with your parents when you’re back home.
24. You know that tomboyish quiet girl who’s dating your ex? She’s gonna be your best friend, she’ll be a little crazy at times, and she’s going to kick that tomboy look in the pants.
25. Bite your nails.
26. Develop several “hard to explain” “can’t make a long story short” medical conditions.
27. Noodles. Bubble tea. Skittles. Whoppers. Chipotle. Pace Salsa. Vinegar. Pickles. and Domino’s Brooklyn style pizza.
28. Gag reflex? Thing of the past. The amount of time you’ll spend brushing the back of your tongue in fear of bad breath will end up getting rid of your gag reflex. So much for trying to make yourself throw up that chicken wing your friends convinced you to eat and now is psyching you out into feeling sick.
29. Tea can be mighty powerful. It does a good job of calming down an anxiety attack. Stick with loose leaf
30. You love kids, cooking, football, fishing, and muscle cars. Don’t tell the guys that though. That can be a problem.
31. No one’s home? Throw on some spandex, bust out the biggest belches you can muster, sing like you’re deaf, and start baking!
32. Everyone is your “new best friend” be sure to know the difference between a “new best friend” and our real best friend. Hint: A new best friend is often a 3-year-old you saw on a video on youtube and not someone you actually had the chance to be a best friend with.
33. You were a theater geek at one point. Don’t forget all those lessons you learned in drama practice, acting lessons, and theater classes. They come in handy.
34. You will always say “pop” not “soda” Unless of course the person your talking to will make fun of you or have no idea what you’re saying… then quick! Catch yourself and say soda!
35. Never give definitive answers unless you’re positive you can back them up. You hate making promises you cant keep/going back on your word. Don’t mess with that stuff.
36. Develop a case of the eternal, ever-so-timely, loudest hiccups ever known to mankind. Proceed to hiccup at the absolute worst moments possible.
37. Stop eating breakfast. Yeah, Kelsey doesn’t do that.
38. There is never such a thing as “too much Taco Bell” Don’t forget to save the extra sauce packets for the cafeteria!
39. Live for awkward moments. Life isn’t complete without them.
40. Tell “funny” stories NO ONE wants to listen to in the least funny way possible… then mumble to yourself about how no one is listening.
41. Use “Your Mom” jokes at any chance you get. They are still funny. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
42. Have an extensive list of nicknames you’ve collected over the years. My personal list includes (but is not limited to): Koolie, Bessy, Beans, Gecko, Klessy, Cowsey, Paris, Cows, Kelso, Red, ATL, Hotlanta
43. You’re super ticklish. Deal with it.
44. Speaking of ticklish. Whenever someone touches my neck/shoulders the left side of my body gets goosebumps and I lose all ability to focus. You’ll have to adapt this ability if you want to be me.
45. Day dream constantly about being a mother someday… then proceed to tell yourself you’ll be single forever.
46. Countdowns rock. Always use countdowns for everything. 28 days to the Hobbit. 74 days to my birthday. Things like that.
47. Your inner Kelsey is at war with herself. She can’t decide if she is more of a “IN MY BUBBLE” person or a “touchy feely” person. She’s both. Now act out life as if you’re going back and forth between the two.
48. Be able to do a couple cool body tricks. Show them off at parties and things.
49. “Challenge Accepted” is the motto of your life.
50. Last, but not least, change all of your personal information (name, date of birth, social security number, address, etc.) to mine.
TADA! Now you’re Kelsey!